Friday, September 13, 2013

Three Things Single Women Should Know

After a two month hiatus I'm finally back writing. Not long after my last post my mother ended up in the hospital twice in as many weeks. One of those times was because she had another stroke. We were lucky with that...again. This stroke it almost seemed that her reset button was hit. She's not like she was before her first stroke, but she's better. After that few week period, I just didn't get back on to write, but God has laid on my heart something that I want to get out.

Recently I pre-ordered the book Women Living Well by Courtney Joseph and received 10 free ebooks (to learn more about this book and the gifts you can go here). One of the ebooks is Single Girl by Ashley Schnarr. I haven't read much of it yet, in fact I'm only in the first chapter but I have understood somethings already by just skimming through some of the book. I have come to the conclusion of three things that I believe every single woman needs to know and they all tie in together.

1: Marriage won't complete you. You can be just as lonely in a marriage as you can being single. Marriage isn't the answer to all our problems. If we want to be complete then we need to turn to God. God is the only One who can make us complete, no matter if we are single, married, have children or are childless. He's our completion whether we are 18 and full of curiosity about the world or the wizened old age of 90. That will never change.

2: People can put pressure on us to marry, even when they don't realize it. Don't listen. The only one that we need to worry about listening to and attuning ourselves to is, you guessed it, God. Being single is not wrong or sinful. Not everyone will marry. Not everyone is supposed to. I know it's hard when all you want is to have a husband to love and children to raise. I know what it's like to stare that dream in the eye and wonder if it will ever come true. God's timing, and His plan are greater than our wants. Sometimes that means giving up our deepest earthly desires. Remember though to "Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart" Psalms 37:4. When we do, we might be surprised at what our hearts desire truly is for it may not be marriage but to know God more.

3: Be content no matter what by focusing on God. Having contentment has nothing to do with the situation we are in or what is going on around us. Contentment is found fully in focusing and relying on God. Philippians 4:11-13 gives us the secret: We can be content because Christ give us the strength for it. Proverbs 3:5, 6 also tells us how: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight." Contentment is really a choice, just like joy. We can chose to trust God and lean on Him to give us the means to be content, or we can rely on ourselves and end up miserable.

Truly though, all three of these can boil down to one thing: focus on God. I know I struggle with this at times. I focus on myself, my job situation, my family's health, my wants and desires. I have found when I am most miserable is when my focus shifts from God to me. I'm most at peace when I keep focused on God.

Just a few thoughts and encouragement for us women for I know I need it too.

~Jo