Sunday, June 16, 2013

Priorities

Life is hectic. Sometimes a bit overwhelming. Life has been that way the last week or two for me. Looking for a new job, maybe starting a side business, trying to get time to write up devotionals to go with some patterns I have, and write out other patterns I've done are just a few of the things that have been on my plate recently, not to mention still keeping up with my family and getting time alone with God. The last one is the most important one to have, but the one I'm most likely to put on the back burner with every excuse that you can think of. "Only for today, I'll read twice as much of my bible tomorrow"..."I don't have enough hours with work and family to squeeze in any "alone" time and I know God understands"..."I'm just too tired to read my bible and pray"..."I have hats I need to finish for my one friend, I can't put that off any longer" and they keep coming. But what does that really say about me? Even Jesus found time to go to a secluded place to pray and he was always surrounded by people who vied for His attention (Mark 1:35 and Luke 4:42 to name just a few spots). One thing that learning about the Proverbs 31 woman is helping me to see is that life is busy, but having our priorities in the right order is necessary. She "burns the midnight oil". Sometimes it feels more like burning the candle at both ends. Sure does give off a lot of light, but only for half as long. We are made to work, but not to wear ourselves out. I'm also learning that sometimes I get overwhelmed with life because I'm working for immediate results and not willing to be patient and wait. What do I mean by this? Well, for example, I've been lead to write a book. I've barely started and I'm already wondering why I don't even have the first chapter written down. I have it outlined (yes, I know, something I learned in school really did come in handy. I never thought that I would actually need to use an outline outside of the classroom). I get discouraged just thinking about how little I have done and how much there is to do. I want it finished NOW. With everything, priorities and goals need to be set. We are going to have busy lives, there will be times when we are worn out. We need to put the most important things first, work for a goal, and not be hasty in things. But most of all, make sure that we put God first and in all things seek Him.