Sunday, May 19, 2013

Excursion into Single Savviness

For  a while know I've been wondering something. I've been wrestling with the fact that I'm in my 30's and never been married. I don't mind the never been married part much, but what I've been wondering about is how a single woman fits into the church. Throughout history, women have been married at young ages with the primary role of being a wife and mother. Though the role of wife and mother is sacred (what better way to shape the world than to be a mother?), there has to be something for us too. Something for those who have either never been called to marriage, or have yet to be blessed in marriage. The resources for us are slim, almost none, when it comes to how a single christian woman can fulfill a place in the body of Christ. Most of the books and websites out there are about how to find a spouse, or how to be fulfilled while you wait for a husband. But what about us who may never marry? What is our role? Are we to just sit on the sidelines and be forgotten? Sometimes that's how it feels. That we are the last ones picked for the team, that we are the forgotten or overlooked, or even, dare I type it, defective. Don't worry, we are none of those. God is out constant companion. We are to get our fulfillment from Him no matter what stage in life or circumstances we are in. I have been called on a spiritual journey to find out how I, a single christian woman, can make a difference. Hopefully my journey will help other women, and even men, who are in the same boat as me.

For a while I have had God telling me to look into this. For some time I have been putting it off. It is kind of frightening, breaking through the overgrowth of a path long forgotten to get to the truth that has been put aside. I had almost given up on going on this journey until I was talking to my sister about how discouraging it was to not have any places of encouragement for people like me. How that in and of itself is extremely discouraging. I was telling her of all the blogs I've come across that are written by christian women are geared to being a wife and mother. Once again, don't get me wrong, those two roles are extremely sacred and wonderful roles to be in. But once again I felt...forgotten. My sister looked my straight in the eyes and said "Why don't you do something about it?" Wow. Yeah. Me? No way I can do that.

Then God laughed. He has such a good sense of humor. He giggled and told me "My daughter, what does Philipians 4:10-13 say?" Oh boy. Of course, one of my favorite bible passages. Paul, a single man who devoted his life to teaching the gentiles about Jesus, wrote that in every situation he is in, he knows how to be content. He knows how to be content because God gives him the strength. So my worrying over what I come across in my studies, how to write what I learn, how to encourage people along the way, it's all really me not trusting God to be faithful to complete the work He began in me (that is also from Philipian, but in chapter 1).

So now with the knowledge that I indeed can do all things through Christ because He gives me the strength my journey begins.