Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Noteworthy Life

As the day ends today, I sit back reflecting on the past few years while I start a new year in life. Today is my birthday, another year older, another year (hopefully) wiser but not a lot to show for it. That got me thinking, and honestly a little depressed. After all, what have I really done that's noteworthy the last few years?
I know that I have a lot left in life that I can accomplish, and as long as it's a Kingdom perspective, that's all that matters. The other day, however, while I was evaluating my life I became very depressed. In fact I did something that I never do-I cried. I was desperate to find something that I have done to leave a mark. After all, I'm not the typical woman anyway you want to look at it. I'm not a "career girl", I don't have a husband or children, I have only an Associates degree for education. I'm not going to win any popularity contest anytime soon and even work isn't going so great right now, so what have I been doing that is noteworthy?
Then it hit me as I was teaching my Sunday School class. We are doing a study on the first 11 chapters of Genesis and right now we are on chapter 9, before the tower of babble, but after Noah, Shem, Ham and Japheth, plus their wives, had come of the Ark. It was only a short segment on how God values human life, but it was enough to bring me out of my funk. One of the verses we cross-referenced with Genesis 9:6 was Psalm 139:13-16:

13 
For You formed my inward parts;

You wove me in my mother’s womb.
14 
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.
15 
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
16 
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

A set of verses that I had known most of life. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. He has my days ordained for me. He knows what I am made to do. All I have to do is trust Him. Let Him lead me. A radical thought of not letting myself get in the way of God. How simple a solution! How hard to actually do.
Then, today, I had another epiphany. I was reading the book Follow Me by David Platt. I'm only in the first chapter, but oh the insight I have gained! I'm not doing what I'm supposed to as a Christian. I'm not making disciples. Not as Jesus wanted us to do. Yes, I teach Sunday School. Yes I try to influence my nieces and nephews and point them to God. Yes I work hard to do as the Bible commands, but I'm not being a missionary in my mission field. But all of that is a blog for a different day. Right now I'm just basking in the light of God. Taking in the truths He's shown me. Learning to trust Him even if it's a day by day, minute by minute, second by second decision. This lady does not want to be a lukewarm Christian, but someone willing to stand up for truth and what's right. When that is accomplished, life is noteworthy. When seeking God's kingdom is my first priority (Matthew 6:33), everything else fades away. For in God I can show love. In God I can show mercy. In God, I can do all things (Philippians 4:13).