Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Prayers Squared: Castle Wall




Castle Wall

Size: 6” square
Hook: I/9 5.50 mm
Yarn: Worsted Weight TLC
Special stitches:
Puff st (puff): (yo, insert hook in st (or sp) indicated, yo pull up a loop) three times, yo pull through all 7 loops on hook, ch 1 to close

Pattern notes: if you are using a lighter weight yarn, you may have to fortify the castle wall by repeating rnd 5 until you have a large enough square to make 6” with rnd 6

Rnd 1: Ch 4, 11 dc in 4th ch from hook (starting ch 3 counts as first dc now and throughout), sl st to top of ch3. 12 dc

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around. 24 dc

Rnd 3: Ch 1, (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in same st, *sc in next 5 st**, (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in next st*, work from * to * three times and to ** once more, sl st to first sc. 36 sc, 4 ch2 sp

Rnd 4: Sl st to ch2 sp, ch 3 (dc, ch2, 2dc) in ch 2 sp *(sk next st, puff in next st) to last st before corner, sk last st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch2 sp*, work from * to * three times and to ** once more, sl st to top of ch3. 16 dc, 16 puffs 4 ch-2 sps

Rnd 5: Sl st to corner ch2 sp, ch 3 (dc, ch2, 2dc) in same sp, *ch1, sk 2 st, puff between dc and puff, puff between each puff until last puff before corner, puff between last puff and next dc, ch1** (2dc, ch2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp*, work from * to * three times and to ** once more, sl st to top of ch3. 16 dc, 20 puffs, 8 ch1 sp, 4 ch-2 sps

Rnd 6: Ch 2, hdc in next st *(2 hdc, ch1, 2 hdc) in ch-2 sp, hdc in next 2 st, 2 hdc in ch 1 sp, hdc in top of and in between each puff, 2 hdc in ch1 sp,** hdc in next 2 st*, work from * to *  three times and to ** once more, sl st to top of ch2. 80 hdc, 4 ch1 sp
FO and weave in ends.


© Copyright February 2013 by JM Jones, all rights reserved. This pattern, in whole or part, may not be reproduced – mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying—without the written permission of JM Jones. Projects made from this pattern may be gifted, swapped or sold. If you use this pattern to sell items on the internet, kindly credit JM Jones as the designer.

Thanks to my testers Carmen, Ryan Nichole and Brenda



A Bulwark Never Failing

Have you ever heard of a Bulwark? Martin Luther wrote in his song “A mighty fortress is our God” that God is a “bulwark never failing”. A bulwark is part of a fortress or a castle. It's a wall that's built up to protect. It's a rampart. God is a bulwark for us. Over and over again in the Bible, especially the Psalms we are told that God is our strength, our stronghold, our refuge. He is our protection. Proverbs 18:10 states:

The name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous runs into it and is safe.

Even God's name is a bulwark, our protection. This is not the only place in the scriptures where God is called our protection. Psalm 62:1-2,5-8 tell us:

My soul waits in silence for God only;
From Him is my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken...
My soul, wait in silence for God only,
For my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest;
The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us

My hope is in God, I will not be shaken for He is my refuge (protection, shelter). HE IS MY ROCK! I can anchor myself in Him and not be greatly shaken. We can “pour out our hearts to Him” for He will protect us. How comforting this is. How encouraging to know even when we feel alone, God is our strength and protection.

God, in her palaces,
Has made Himself known as a stronghold.
Psalm 48:3

Hear my cry, O God;
Give heed to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For You have been a refuge for me,
A tower of strength against the enemy.
Let me dwell in Your tent forever;
Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings.
Psalm 61:1-3

Take heart, we have our protection.